URS Assistantship Payment
Maximum semester earnings from URS funds for this position are $400. Please consult the payroll clerk in your department for more salary information. Unused salary or grant funds may not be spent in a subsequent semester. Additional work must be funded by another source or performed on a volunteer basis. Please observe the following payroll procedures:
- The payroll representative in the faculty mentor’s department will explain the procedures for keeping track of hours worked, obtaining time cards, and picking up paychecks. If the student is not already on Duke Payroll, the clerk will complete an Employment Notice (EN) for the student.
- If the student is already on Duke Payroll in another department, the student must obtain a Personnel Change Notice (PCN) from the payroll clerk in the student's current department of employment. The PCN should be taken to the payroll clerk in the department where the student is using the URS assistantship so that the student's second source of funding can be added.
- URS support may be combined with work-study aid. If the student is eligible, the student can obtain the work-study verification forms from the Undergraduate Financial Aid Office, 2127 Campus Drive, to accompany the PCN and/or EN (see above). Please note that enrolled students may not be compensated for more than 19.5 hours/week of combined employment.
- All completed forms should be taken to the Benefits and Records Office (705 Broad Street). The student cannot be paid for any hours worked before Benefits and Records receives all of the correct forms. In addition, the student's paid research hours must be completed by the last day of classes.
Please note that all hours must be worked by the last class day of the award semester.
URS Assistantships and Federal Work Study Information: The student should identify the appropriate work-study status to the department payroll representative.
Position: Student; Position Code: 0699
Non-work-study - 100% from URS assistantship: (contact URS office for fund code)
Federal work-study –
- 25% from URS assistantship (contact URS office for fund code)
- 75% from Financial Aid code
Duke work-study –
- 50% from URS assistantship (contact URS office for fund code)
- 50% from Financial Aid code
If possible the department payroll representative should notify the student's supervisor when payroll earned approaches the $400 limit.