2019 Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques Diversity Fellowship
2019 Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques Diversity Fellowship application to be considered for participation in the summer educational opportunity which has a goal of attracting underrepresented groups into social science graduate programs, in particular, the Michigan Program in Survey Methodology (MPSM).
Candidates should meet one or more of the following criteria:
1. Come from educational, cultural or geographic backgrounds that are underrepresented in survey methodology in the United States or the University of Michigan;
2. Have demonstrated sustained commitment to diversity in the academic, professional, or civic realm through their work experience, volunteer engagement, or leadership of student or community organizations to reduce social, educational or economic disparities
3. Have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances
The 2019 Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques Diversity Fellowship Program will take place June 26-July 12, 2019.
Week 1 Orientation and introduction to research and survey methodology.
- Tuesday, June 25 - Arrival day
- Wednesday, June 26 - Friday, June 28 - Sessions to include engaging with Institute for Social Research (ISR) faculty working on a variety of research projects, discussions with Michigan Program in Survey Methodology faculty, students and alumni.
Week 2 (July 1-5, 2019) Attendance and participation in two, two-day short courses.
- Introduction to Survey Methodology, Dr. Emilia Peytcheva
- Thursday, July 4 - free day
- Introduction to Survey Sampling, Dr. James Lepkowski
Week 3 (July 8-12, 2019) Attendance and participation in two, two-day short courses.
- Introduction to Questionnaire Design, Dr. Jessica Broome
- Wednesday, July 10 - free day
- Introduction to Data Collection Methods, Dr. Florian Keusch
- Saturday, July 13 - Departure day
Fellowship recipients will receive:
- Funding to cover fees for enrollment in 4 credit hours of specified Summer Institute coursework (not for credit)
- Funding for domestic travel,
- Funding for housing while in Ann Arbor
Early submission of application and supplementary materials is encouraged. There are a limited number of fellowships available and they will be awarded to qualified applicants as completed applications are reviewed.
To maximize the size of our cohort and provide the best possible experience for all, it is important that each applicant be committed to attend this educational opportunity. To this end, if you are selected as an awardee, your written acceptance of the offer and a deposit of $50 is required to secure your place in the 2019 Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques Diversity Fellowship program. If you choose to withdraw after May 13, 2019, the $50 deposit is non-refundable. If you arrive and attend the program, your deposit will be refunded upon arrival.