COVID-19 Updates for Assistantships
Departments may use funds to pay students working in North Carolina.
Please keep in mind: Financial Aid may have different rules for Work Study Students, we suggest visiting: https://financialaid.duke.edu/coronavirus;
URS Assistantship Payment
Maximum semester earnings from URS funds for this position are $400.
Starting Fall 2020, funds will be transferred incrementally throughout the semester starting with $200. Once those funds are spent, a departmental official, mentor or the student with mentor copied may reach out via email to email@example.com for two more additional transfers of $100 each as needed for a total of up to $400.
All paid research hours must be completed by the last day of classes.
Please consult the payroll clerk in your department for more salary information. Please take note of the following:
- The payroll representative in the faculty mentor’s department will explain the procedures for keeping track of hours worked, obtaining time cards, and picking up paychecks.
- URS support may be combined with work-study aid. If the student is eligible, the student can obtain the work-study verification forms from the Undergraduate Financial Aid Office, 2127 Campus Drive, to accompany the PCN and/or EN (see above). Please note that enrolled students may not be compensated for more than 19.9 hours/week of combined employment.
- Please note that all hours must be worked by the last class day of the award semester.
- Unused salary or grant funds may not be spent in a subsequent semester.
URS Assistantships and Federal Work Study Information: The student should identify the appropriate work-study status to the department payroll representative.
Position: Student; Position Code: 0699
Non-work-study - 100% from URS assistantship: (contact URS office for fund code)
Federal work-study –
- 25% from URS assistantship (contact URS office for fund code)
- 75% from Financial Aid code
Duke work-study –
- 50% from URS assistantship (contact URS office for fund code)
- 50% from Financial Aid code
Students, mentors and departmental business leaders are in charge of monitoring when additional transfers of funds are needed, and communicating with the URS Office to request the additional funds.