URS Independent Study Grants are provided to help defray research expenses of up to $400 for Trinity and Pratt students enrolled in faculty-supervised independent study courses or the equivalent such as thesis and research capstone courses. A grant makes funds available to purchase approved supplies and equipment (nondurable goods) for the research project. Grants may not be used to buy personal items, textbooks, pay for training or classes, or to pay salaries. The maximum amount of the grant is $400 and all funds must be used before the last day of classes of the semester. A student can only receive one Independent Study Grant per semester.
Student must be enrolled in an Independent Study course or the equivalent such as thesis and research capstone courses, in order to be eligible for this grant.
The application portal opens on the first day of each semester and will close when general funds have been depleted for that semester. Funds can run out within the first month of the semester, so it is advised that you apply as soon as possible.
- This application requires that students have completed CITI Training. URS requires URS grant applicants to complete the “Research Misconduct (RCR-Basic) (ID 16604)” course offered through Duke CITI Training in order to be eligible to receive the grant. Find directions for the training and for downloading the certificate here.
- If working with Human Subjects, this application requires that students have completed, or have submitted an initial application for approval to the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Consult with your mentor and find more information here. If awarded, funds will not be distributed until the URS Office has received the student's IRB protocol number and valid expriation date. If awarded this grant, if you do not receive IRB approval before April 10, 2023, the funds will not be released and you will need to re-apply for the grant in a subsequent semester in which you are also enrolled in an independent study course.
- This application requires that students are enrolled in a Research Independent Study course.
If you have any questions about this application or grant, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criteria used in evaluating applications are:
- Clarity and completeness of the application; students write a short research proposal describing the nature of and rationale for the work they will be doing and include an itemized budget for proposed expenses. The proposal should begin with a statement of a problem or question which can be addressed through well-defined methods in the discipline.
- IRB processing for projects involving human subjects. An application may be submitted and approved by the URS office prior to IRB approval, but the final award of funds requires IRB approval. Please note "pending" for proposals submitted but not yet approved.
- Completion of the Research Misconduct online tutorial. Your certificate of completion must be uploaded to be able to submit this application.
- Support by the faculty sponsor as indicated in a required brief statement sent to the URS office via an emailed form.
Expenses incurred during the semester, but before the date of the award, can be reimbursed on approval of the application.
For more information about guidelines and resources, see Guidelines for URS Programs