Compensation for International Students

Information for International students receiving a summer fellowship:

International students are required to have a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to receive a summer stipend. If you do not already have a SSN or ITIN, you will need to begin this process as soon as you are awarded your fellowship.

The URS office staff is happy to help you in any way we can, however please be aware that the experts in this area are the advisors at Duke Visa Services and the International House. They will be able to assist you in this process.

*Almost every Wednesday at 10am, an International House staff member drives to the local Durham Social Security Office and will provide a ride for you. (This has been stopped due to COVID-19, but students may reach out to for assistance).

Please note that your summer stipend may have taxes withheld. This can vary depending on the type of visa you have. Any questions regarding tax withholdings from your stipend should be directed to Duke Visa Services.

It is very important that you begin this process as soon as possible. The issuance process for a SSN can take up to four weeks. Corporate payroll will not be able to issue all of your fellowship checks if you do not have a SSN or ITIN.